I’m all about fantasy that features women at the forefront.
We don’t have enough of them.
Here are my recommendations.
The Queen of Blood
Basic premise: in a world where deadly spirits create nature, queens are chosen to protect the people.
- Incredible writing
- Lush world with lots of easy to access worldbuilding
- Set partially in a magic school!
- Morally grey characters
- Perfect to read if you like Laini Taylor’s books or Sarah J Maas’s books
The Bear and the Nightingale
Basic premise: set in Russia in the 1400s, a young girl grows up believing in spirits and folklore, and meets superstition from her conservative town.
- THE MOST INCREDIBLE WRITING EVER
- Set in the wintertime
- Writing is poetic without being burdening on the mind
- Full of folklore and magic
- The first book is a slow-burn plot, the next books are more packed with adventure
- Read if you like Laini Taylor and fairytales/folklore